Valley Christian School was founded in 1975 as Youngstown Christian School by the Highway Tabernacle Assembly of God, on the corner of Southern Boulevard and Wychwood Avenue in Youngstown, Ohio.
Through the years, our enrollment has increased to our current enrollment of 700 students over three campuses.
We joined the Ohio High School Athletic Association in 2003 to provide our high school students with competitive athletic experience. In 2006, a new high school facility was built on the original property, which included a new gymnasium, twelve classrooms, a chapel, and a café. Other notable additions to our organization are:
- The inception of Special Education Department in 2009.
- Dedication of our renovated cafeteria and three additional classroom spaces in 2014.
- Opened the Lewis Center for Gifted Learning in Downtown Youngstown for grades 3-8 in 2014.
- Expanded once again by opening our Pleasant Grove Campus (PG) for grades K-1 in 2016.
- Dual accreditation from both Association of Christian Schools International and AdvancEd by not only meeting the standards, but exceeding them in many areas.
The school adopted the model of “Love More, Expect More, Be More,” which relates to nurturing the spirit, challenging the mind, and serving the world; three simple values that have guided the dramatic change process that Youngstown Christian School has undergone in the past five years. In 2015, Youngstown Christian was renamed Valley Christian to better represent all the communities our students live in throughout the Valley.
Today we proudly serve the tri-county area over three campuses. We feel the kingdom of God encompasses all. Valley Christian’s culture reflects that as we served students from all cultures, academic abilities, and socioeconomic statuses. That is the VCS Experience.